Endurance Exercise & Dehydration
Causes of Dehydration in Endurance Exercise
Vigorous or prolonged physical activity (i.e. during endurance sport or exercise) can lead to an increase in the body’s core temperature.
This usually results in a higher sweat rate, leading to the loss of bodily fluids and electrolytes, which can cause mild to moderate dehydration.
Did You Know? Dehydration Can Impact Your Performance
- Optimal sports performance requires an athlete to be at their peak – physically and mentally.
- When exercising you lose fluid and electrolytes through sweat which can cause dehydration.
- Dehydration can affect your mental and physical state, leading to problems that affect your performance such as:
- Cramps, spasms and soreness
- Impaired concentration
Management of Dehydration Due to Endurance Exercise
When preventing and relieving dehydration related to endurance exercise it is important to replace both the lost fluid and electrolytes. You need electrolytes for two key reasons:
- To retain the fluid you consume
- To help with nerve and muscle function
Benefits of Hydralyte
- Hydralyte is an electrolyte solution clinically formulated for rapid rehydration.
- Hydralyte is low in sugar and high in the electrolytes lost in sweat, which your body needs to perform at its best.
When using Hydralyte for dehydration related to endurance exercise (with tailored guidance), it is best to implement a fluid regime in consultation with your sports physician/occupational health physician.
Use under Medical Supervision.
Consult your sports physician/occupational health physician for the most appropriate use of this product.